Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Trip to Menards ~

Last night, Ryan called me at work to see what time I was getting off because he wanted me to go to Menards with him. I told him I'd be home around 6. By now, he knows it will be at least another hour before he sees me. Well, by 8pm, I was still there and decided to leave because I knew Menards closes at 9 - I didn't want to let him down and felt so bad. So, I rush home, pick him up and we're off to Menards. On our way, he's telling me he wants to get a new sink, bathroom faucet, shower head and lights for above the mirror (all for the bathroom). So, I'm excited to be able to help him out with this. We get there and I just let him lead the way and start showing me what he wants to do. As a reminder, we live in a house that was built in the late 80's (with brass EVERYTHING - door knobs, shower heads, faucets, etc) and not much updating has been done other than new carpet and painting the walls "light beige". He already ordered the countertop for the vanity - so, we find a sink, no big deal. Next, the faucets/shower head/etc. He's looking at all these fancy items and we are having fun. But, by this time, I needed to do something because ya just don't put "fancy" stuff (wrot iron faucets, etc) in an older house unless you intend on remodeling the whole bathroom. The wrot iron faucet doesn't go with the wood vanity/woodwork in the bathroom. Finally, I told him to stop and explained to him that he needs to come down a level. We are not fixing up a $500,000 house and need to keep the faucets somewhat in line with what we have to work with. Don't get me wrong, I love his taste....but needed to explain to him that we can get all this fancy stuff when we decide to build our own house in a few years. He had to think about this for a minute because he didn't realize what he was doing and is so use to building fancy homes...he didn't know any better. Funny, but true. So, we continue picking things out and in the past, I always give him my thoughts and he never seems to go with what I think (or that's what I think anyways). So, I just wasn't being very decisive and more along for the ride and support of this bathroom remodel. This isn't my house and don't think its really my place to decide what he should do. So, I tell him this. And he says, "Well, I wouldn't be doing all this if it wasn't for you." And, I just smile because I explained to him a few months ago that it wouldn't hurt to start do a little updating in his house so it will sell faster. My idea of a little updating was more along the lines of, "painting the walls"...but, I guess we are going an extra step in the bathroom....which is ok, because it needs it. So, really, he does listen and care about my thoughts...and takes action on it.

Anyway, I really didn't have a "point" to my story - just thought it was kinda cute and wanted to share. We get along so well and its actually fun doing these things with him. I'm even more pleased to find out that we really do have the same taste, just not on paint colors. Yikes! I am truly thankful to be dating such a laid back guy. We cannot get into an argument over anything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

that is such a cute story, I can't wait to hear what you guys end up doing and seeing pictures of everything.

Home Seller said...

that is so cute! You have to post before and after pics - I am just dying to see what you all do. I need to hire Ryan to come to my house!! Does he like to lay carpet? that is my next purchase...
you two are meant to be ;-)

Kerrie said...

It's all about respect. You both obviously have it for one another. That's awesome.

Tracy said...

Very cool story...really, you cannot fight over anything?? That's great!!

Good luck with the bathroom remodel/painting/vanity/sinks etc. I agree, post pictures!

 

This Template is Brought to you by : AllBlogTools.com blogger templates